Monday 2 July 2012

Home foods from abroad

My younger daughter is returning home today after SIX months in various bits of Africa - SA, Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania and Zanzibar. You saw her jump out of a plane a while back. That seems tame compared with what she's done since then and I'm sure she's shielded me from most of it.

The other day, I asked her to tell me what foods she's most wanting there to be in stock when she arrives.

She said:
kettle chips
dips - tzatziki, hummous etc
nice salad stuff
spring onions
yogurt
pickled onions
eggs
honey
orange juice - no bits
bagels
nice bread  - good toastie bread, thick sliced etc
fish pie ingreds - maybe have this on monday night?
maybe some chocolate
I love that list!

What would be on your list?

8 comments:

  1. Having spent a lot of the past few years of my life in England, I am always missing the Northern Irish Staples - Tayto Crisps, Soda Farls, Potato Bread, Wheaten Bread, Sukie - and I'm glad to see some parts of mainland UK are beginning to stock them but, I must say, having them available only in Northern Ireland made them feel more special, more of a treat. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder when it comes to food & drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of those things, apart from farls!

      Delete
  2. When I lived in Iran many years ago, I would have killed for a good pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proper wholemeal bread (not the square white sliced supermarket sort), Vegemite/Marmite, Caboc (still cannot get that in Downunder), more cheese, lots of salad and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter must have 'suffered' and endured a lot. We are Africans and when my kid sister (now a barrister) came back to England, she craved for KFC, buffet and lots of chocolate. She was born in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter's list would be:

    Bacon
    Sausages
    Yogurt
    Brown sugar
    KFC
    McDonald's
    Cake
    Ice-cream
    Duck rolls
    Scampi
    Smoothie
    Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent a year in Africa myself so I'm familiar with "the list" :)
    Mine included:
    Pizza
    Cheeeeeeese, lots of cheese!
    Milk
    Cereal
    Steak
    Cookies
    Hot chocolate
    Lettuce
    Apples
    Orange juice

    Hmm... I'm struggling now to remember what else, but I'm pretty sure "the list" was quite long. It also included shoes and hot water. No one was home when I got back, though, so my sister had put up a banner saying "welcome home" and had put a little gift on the table :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.